Journalists, researchers and writers from across European Union and Western Balkan countries are invited to apply for the second Resonant Voices Fellowship program.
The Balkan Investigative Reporting Network, Commission for International Justice and Accountability and Propulsion are inviting journalists, researchers and writers from across Europe to apply for the second Resonant Voices Fellowship program. The call will last until November 25, 2019.
It offers fellowships consisting of 3,000-Euro bursaries and mentoring to explore related difficult questions at the intersection of identity, migration, democracy, human rights, radicalization and violent extremism.
What does the future of the European Union and of European identity look like? What do the proponents of both open and closed societies and borders within the EU want and what tactics do they use to promote their vision? What role do propaganda and disinformation campaigns play in the radicalization and polarization of our societies and who is most susceptible? How successful are online platforms’ content policies and government regulation in curbing dangerous online narratives? What strategies are employed by those pushing back against radicalizing, polarizing and inflammatory narratives and what challenges do they face?
The Resonant Voices Fellows map evolving radicalizing influences eroding the fabric of our societies and undermining our values. They expose and challenge extremist messaging targeting vulnerable audiences in the European Union, particularly online. Their work also contributes to developing communication strategies and targeted outreach as a means to combat these threats.
Examples of topics the Fellows could explore include:
- Far right networks operating in Europe with links to the Western Balkans
- Religious radicalization in Europe with links to the Western Balkans and Turkey
- The impact of EU enlargement policy on the polarization of national debates in the EU member states and (future) candidate countries
- Political attitudes and influence of Western Balkans diaspora within the European Union and in the Western Balkans
- Nexus between Balkan-linked networks of organized crime and terrorism within EU borders
- Links between political discourse and disinformation in the context of migration, security and terrorism and the political violence within the EU
- The role of media in countering disinformation and propaganda in connection with migration
- Grassroots activism and local initiatives to defend human rights and democratic values and their online strategies with the specific focus on distribution of messages across language and geographic communities
- Online battlefield – techniques and methods of confrontation, intimidation and suppression of free speech online and offline
- The impact of content regulation and online platform policies and their enforcement on activism, journalism and counter narrative campaigns across the EU
- Life of Western Balkans diaspora communities in Austria, Croatia, and Germany
Journalists, researchers, and writers will be chosen through open competition to receive funding and professional support to conduct in-depth research and investigation of a topic of EU and regional significance. Chosen applicants will attend a three-day workshop in Berlin in January 2020.
Successful applicants will be mentored by BIRN editors, benefitting from their practical experience, as well as from on-the-job learning. The stories they produce will be published on BIRN’s flagship website, Balkan Insight, and by prominent regional and international media outlets.
The Resonant Voices Fellowship includes the following elements:
- Fellowship bursary of 3,000 Euros per selected fellow or team
- A three-day workshop in Berlin (Germany), with European and regional trainers in January 2020
- Ongoing, on-the-job mentoring and support from BIRN’s editor and visual communications mentor
- Publication of in-depth investigation on BIRN’s flagship website Balkan Insight and in other media outlets
- Individuals or teams with residence in the EU, Western Balkans or Turkey
- Applicants should be proficient in English (speaking, reading and comprehension)
How to Apply
To apply, send the completed application form, resume (CV) and signed declaration of the applicant to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Resonant Voices Fellowship” by November 25, 2019, 23:59.
In case you have additional questions or you need further clarifications regarding the Fellowship program please refer to email@example.com.
All further information regarding the application process can be found in our: